BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY BLOG PAGES IN THE WHITE LINKS ABOVE!!!


Friday, January 20, 2012

A new piece and stuff

Title says it all. Here is a modification of an old piece I used to do.

I like this one! It's only about 6-inches tall.

Here is the finished hat rack that I was working on in my previous blog. The lines are a bit different than the first hat rack.

And finally here is the third candle holder. I changed up the chased lines on this one as well.

So that's what I've been doing the last couple of days.

Yesterday, I took a day off from smithing and helped dad cut down some trees. We cut two red-oak and two walnuts for the caskets he makes. We are planning on getting them sawn in a few days. We have to load them on our trailer which should be tons (literally) of fun!
Check back for pictures!

7 comments:

Nathan Schoolfield said...

Brian makes caskets?

Master Dave said...

Yeah! Wooden caskets. He took a class at John C Campbell, on making wooden caskets.

Anonymous said...

OK. Does he sell them to funeral homes, or are they another type of casket?

Master Dave said...

He is waiting to get a supply of wood before testing the various markets. (Direct sales versus wholesale.) This wood should be enough to get a selection of caskets built in preparation for sales.

Anonymous said...

I really like the top two pictures. The detail is very nice. My Grandpa (a carpenter) enjoyed the pictures of your iron work I showed him last night. You almost got me with the gullible joke. :-) One of my friends once asked me, "Nick, did you know that gullible cannot be found in the dictionary?" "Really?" Well he just started laughing as hard as he could. I really got to laugh when he tried the same joke on me years later, and I remembered that he told me before. How does your dad enjoy making caskets? Also, is there (I know this sounds awful) a large market for caskets?

Master Dave said...

I appreciate the complement on the work Nick.

Yeah caskets is kind of a "dead" profession to me! LOL There is a large market for caskets......100% of earth's population. :D
We really haven't tested the market yer, but we have high hopes. The casket that he builds is an EXTREMELY decorative, well finished one, but can be built for a price comporable to standard caskets. It's bound to be a good seller!

Nathan Schoolfield said...

Oh! Kaitlyn was signed in when I commented, thus showing me up as Kaitlyn! I wrote the third comment. =)
To tell you the truth, I actually tried saying gullible slowly, and so did my mom!!