BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY BLOG PAGES IN THE WHITE LINKS ABOVE!!!


Friday, December 3, 2010

Latest blacksmith work

VISIT OUR FAMILY WEBSITE @ http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com/


Well folks, I'm back in town...finally! I have been working hard on my smithing. A lady in Louisville, Kentucky made an order of custom items for her log cabin in North Carolina. I'm making things like bath towel hooks, hand towel bar, toilet paper holder, pot rack, and maybe some cabinet pulls.

Everything has been going well and coming together good. Here are some pictures!
                                                             The four bath towel hooks!

The hand towel holder!

Some pictures of me forging!

                                                                        
                                                                         Hot metal!

Man I'm fast!

For those of you who may be wondering, I do have a right arm and it is holding a hammer!

Look at 'em go!!!! :)

Ahhhh no here we go! Here I am as the "forge welder from Mars!"

Say! What does this button do!
Those are #5 cutting gogles, and I use them to protect my eyes from extremely bright light during forge welding!
         
You know though, on the serious side, I really like blacksmithing! One reason is, it is good, honest, hard, physical, labour and at the end of the days work, you sleep well.....anywhere!
OK so that was staged!

And best for last!
OK so not the last picture, but the last one of my forging in my shop!

Now some of you may be wondering what I did at the John C. Campbell Folk School a couple of weeks ago! Good question! Pictures are worth a thousand words (actually that's a lie, but I don't have time to write, so we'll pretend it's not,) so here are some pictures!

The teacher (Mr. Clay Spencer) and me (Dave.) Duh!

Me working on my project.....a table top!

                                                                   The finished product!

Here is a test piece I did to cover some techniques I didn't cover on the table top!

This is called a pineapple twist....it's a tight one!

Same kind of twist, just not so tight!

Well that's all folks! I'm going to run out some test pieces on the cabinet pulls today!

Dave

No comments: