I sawed off the original faces to decrease the weight as well as to get rid of some chips and pitting. Then I set to work to shorten the hammer-head by "upsetting" the material. I made one of the hammer faces round and one face flat. By the time I cut, forged, and ground it into a usable piece of hardware, I had a 13.25-pound hammer head, that weighed 14.25-pounds with the handle.
Here is the original hammer head!
Here is a sped-up video of making the hammer-eye drift for this project, and then the work involved in upsetting such a large hammer head!
Here I am forging a "cupping tool" in the new striking anvil with the new sledge hammer.
And yesterday I made my first "top-swage." Here are some pictures!
Off to work for today!